Here are some reminders especially now I’m turning 25. Heuristics to ensure peace. Constantly changing.
“Self-learning implies a fresh, eager mind - a mind that is not committed, a mind that does not belong to anything, that is not limited to any particular field. It is only such a mind that learns” - J.Krishnamurti
- Actions over words. Do your work well.
- Escape competition through authenticity
- Work smart (not hard)
- Say less than you need to.
- Operate within your circle of competence
- Follow your genuine intellectual curiosity
- Look for people with Energy, Intelligence and Integrity (Buffet)
- Always ask questions. At school 24/7
- Learn outside of your field. Having distinct subsections of knowledge is a man made construction. There is a unity of knowledge.It all inter-relates and mixes.
- You can learn whatever you want on the internet. Information abundance, scarcity of desire to learn.
- Internet allows for permission-less creation. The tools of creation and distribution have been democratised.
- As always: you know nothing. Reason from first principles, and be aware of where you are not doing so.
Habits and Life
Habits are everything. They characterise the momentum of a life. As the adage goes:
intention becomes thought, thought becomes action, action becomes character, character becomes fate.
- Discipline is overrated. Habits are far more effective.
- You don’t rise to the level of your expectation, you fall to the level of your training
- Compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world. Do it every day
- Prioritise sleep
- Eat well (plant based, fish, nuts, vegetables). Nutrition has a profound biological effect
- Exercise and mobilise ( work on ensuring you maintain or improve range of motion)
- Strength train : calisthenics is effective and minimal
- Integrity above all.
- Radical honesty. Be open about your faults, private about your successes
- You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
- Writing is thinking. Journal to know what you think. Journal to make important decisions
- Information overload scatters attention. Be single pointed with attention whether doing a task or listening to a friend.
- Read - people much smarter than you have thought about it.
Dating, Relationships, Communication
- Core values of a partner have to align. Then the small things don’t matter
- Unconditional love is not yours to receive. But free to give.
- Judgement and comparison harm you first in every way. A hot coal you hold in your hand.
- Don’t assume you understand the others viewpoint. Ask questions to make sure you do
- As always, be open to learning here.
Self and Mind
Meditation is the most important skill I’ve learnt in these 25 years.
- Be kind. Words do matter.
- Accept. Life is a river of sensory information, largely up to your interpretation.
- Create good stories.
- Sit and listen closely to your mind. The thoughts, the undulations of the rustling leaves, feel wind blowing in between your fingers. Be curious. There is something profound here. It’s a different way of existing and relating to the contents of consciousness. Non dual awareness.
Grief, Death and Time
- Old age and death are an indelible aspect of existence.
- Not ‘bad’, but the reality : ‘pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
- Grief : words can never explain a persons life.
- Grief comes in waves. Rather than resist, be curious and look. What is it that causes pain? Potential futures. Reminiscing about the past. Both stories.
- Time and attention are all you have. Allocate them well
- Be grateful for the time you have. Everything is on loan.
- We all need humour. Jokes, but never at the expense of another
- Total immersion in Netflix binge’s
- Long hair don’t care. Witcher goals
- I’m hopeful for Gen Z. Tik tok is great
I’m sure I’ll look back on this and disagree/ cringe. But here is a snapshot of current 25 year old me